Welcome to Parsix GNU/Linux 4.0r0-TEST-1 Release Notes
Parsix GNU/Linux is a live and installation DVD based on Debian. Our goal is to provide a ready to use and easy to install desktop and laptop optimized operating system based on Debian's testing branch and the latest stable release of GNOME desktop environment. Users can easily install extra software packages from Parsix APT repositories. Our annual release cycle consists of two major and four minor versions. We have our own software repositories and build servers to build and provide all the necessary updates and missing features in Debian testing branch.
What's New in 4.0r0-TEST-1?
This is the first test version of the upcoming Parsix GNU/Linux 4.0 release. Parsix GNU/Linux 4.0 (code name Gloria) brings tons of updated packages, faster live boot, updated installer system and quality new features. This version has been synchronized with Debian testing repositories as of July 1, 2012 and brings lot of updated packages compared to Parsix 3.7 aka Raul. Parsix Gloria is project's first release with GNOME 3 series and ships with LibreOffice? productivity suit by default. Gloria has a brand new software manager package. Highlights: GNOME 3.4.2, X.Org 7.6, GRUB 2, GNU Iceweasel 13.0, GParted 0.12.1, Empathy 22.214.171.124, LibreOffice 3.5.4, VirtualBox 4.1.16 and a brand new kernel based on Linux 3.2.20 with TuxOnIce, BFS and other extra patches. Live DVD has been compressed using SquashFS and XZ.
Main changes are:
- Linux 3.2.20
- GNOME 3.4.2
- Xserver-xorg 126.96.36.1992
- GNU Iceweasel 13.0
- Chromium Browser 18
- LibreOffice 3.5.4
- Glibc 2.13
- GParted 0.12.1
- Empathy 188.8.131.52
- GIMP 2.8.0
- Grisbi 0.8.9
- VirtualBox 4.1.16
- VLC 2.0.1
- xFarDic 0.11.7
Other Notable Changes in 4.0
- New artwork, based on Metal X Shell Theme by justviper, Foresight GTK-2 theme engine by Og Maciel and, Faenza icon theme by tiheum.
- Updated Adobe flash player to 11.2 (for 32 and 6b bit).
Note for nVidia/ATI Users
- On amd64 platform, you need to run dpkg-reconfigure gdm3 command after installation to make GDM3 work properly.
Parsix Software Repositories
Parsix GNU/Linux has four main software repositories:
- Official: This repository contains packages officially maintained and built by the project
- Continent: This repository is a snapshot of Debian testing branch except packages covered by official repository
- Wonderland: This repository is a snapshot of Debian Multimedia repository
- Security: All security updates are being uploaded to this repository
For Parsix Gloria, your default /etc/apt/sources.list file should look like this:
# Parsix deb http://packages.parsix.org/official gloria main contrib non-free deb-src http://packages.parsix.org/official gloria main contrib non-free deb http://packages.parsix.org/continent gloria main contrib non-free deb-src http://packages.parsix.org/continent gloria main contrib non-free deb http://packages.parsix.org/wonderland gloria main non-free deb-src http://packages.parsix.org/wonderland gloria main non-free deb http://security.parsix.org gloria main contrib non-free deb-src http://security.parsix.org gloria main contrib non-free
Updating Existing Installations
Due to vast amount of updates and system changes, the only proper way to upgrade your existing installation to Gloria would be doing an update mode installation.