Welcome to Parsix GNU/Linux 3.6r0-RC Release Notes
Parsix GNU/Linux is a distribution designed for desktop and laptop computers but also can be used as a live CD. Parsix GNU/Linux is based on Debian testing branch and has been derived from KANOTIX. Parsix GNU/Linux contains the most common applications for desktop/laptop users and always ships the most recent stable GNOME desktop.
What's New in 3.6r0-RC?
Parsix GNU/Linux 3.6 (code name Vinnie) is a brand new release that brings tons of updated packages, faster live boot and quality new features. This version has been synchronized with Debian testing repositories as of July 1, 2010 and brings lot of updated packages compared to Parsix 3.5 aka Frankie. Now we have a snapshot of Debian Multimedia repository called Wonderland. Vinnie ISO images will not fit on CD and a DVD is required to burn them. These images are compiled using SquashFS 4.0 with LZMA compression. Our updated Linux 22.214.171.124 kernel with improved configuration is patched using TuxOnIce? 126.96.36.199 suspension/hibernation and Kon Kolivas's BFS patches. This version also ships our new experimental USB installer that enables users to run Parsix from USB keys and pen drives. Parsix Vinnie has a brand new light look and feel. Parsix 3.6 default features: NetworkManager? 0.8 as default networking stack, GRUB 2 boot loader and ext4 file system, brand new update-manager package, and X.Org 7.5. Highlights: GNOME 2.30.2, X.Org 7.5, GRUB 2, GNU Iceweasel 3.5.10, GParted 0.5.2, Empathy 188.8.131.52, OpenOffice?.org 3.2.1, Compiz-Fusion 0.8.4 and, VirtualBox?-OSE 3.2.6.
Updated Packages Main changes are:
- Linux 184.108.40.206
- GNOME 2.30.2
- Xserver-xorg 1.7.7
- GNU Iceweasel 3.5.10
- OpenOffice?.org 3.2.1
- Glibc 2.11.2
- SquashFS+Lzma 4.0
- GParted 0.5.2
- Empathy 220.127.116.11
- GIMP 2.6.8
- CompizFusion? 0.8.4
- Synaptic 0.63.1
- VirtualBox?-OSE 3.2.6
- Exaile 0.3.0.2
- VLC 1.0.6
- xFarDic 0.11.7
Other Notable Changes in 3.6
- New artwork, based on http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Horsehead+Nebula?content=94983 "Horsehead Nebula" background, http://art.gnome.org/download/themes/gtk2/1011/GTK2-Serenity.tar.gz Serenity GTK-2 theme engine by Jean-Paul Bizet, http://art.gnome.org/download/themes/gtk2/1345/GTK2-Foresight.tar.bz2 Foresight GTK-2 theme engine by Og Maciel, http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php/show.php?content=70537&vote=good&tan=63898020 Tropical sound theme by Tom Haste, and http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/GNOME-colors?content=82562 GNOME Colors - Dust icon theme by Victor C.
- Updated Adobe flash player to 10.0.45.2 (both 32 and 64 bit editions)
- New experimental USB installer system. For more information, please see man parsix-iso2usb.
Note for nVidia/ATI Users
Now it's possible to install ATI, nVidia and nVidia-legacy drivers and kernel modules from the APT repository. For more information, please see http://www.parsix.org/html/pnWikka-tag-AtiHowto.html ATI Drivers Howto and http://www.parsix.org/html/pnWikka-tag-NvidiaHowto.html Nvidia Drivers HowTo.
X.Org 7.5 Changes
Parsix 3.6 ships a brand new X Server with a lot of improvmenets and updated drivers. Please consider the following notes:
- From now on, we depend on X.Org's new autodetect - zero config file feature and the default /etc/X11/xorg.conf file will be empty. Parsix boot scripts still generate the traditional xorg.conf file with the new name of xorg.conf.parsix.generated in the same old /etc/X11 folder. If for some reason, X.Org autodetection fails on your system and you need to revert back to the original old state, just rename that file to xorg.conf and restart your GDM or X Server.
- A new boot cheat code xconf has been implemented to boot using traditional xorg.conf file if the X automatic detection system is not working well on your system.
Important Notice About Parsix Repositories
Parsix GNU/Linux has three main repositories. The official repository contains packages officially maintained and built by the project and the Continent repository that is the whole Debian testing branch except packages covered by official repository. Wonderland repository is a snapshot of Debian Multimedia repository. For Parsix Vinnie, your default /etc/apt/sources.list file should look like this:
# Parsix deb http://packages.parsix.org/official vinnie main contrib non-free deb-src http://packages.parsix.org/official vinnie main contrib non-free deb http://packages.parsix.org/continent vinnie main contrib non-free deb-src http://packages.parsix.org/continent vinnie main contrib non-free deb http://packages.parsix.org/wonderland vinnie main non-free deb-src http://packages.parsix.org/wonderland vinnie main non-free
Updating Existing Installations
Users with existing Parsix GNU/Linux installations can update their systems using APT or 3.6r0-RC DVD. Updating using the Parsix DVD deletes all additional installed packages. So users who have custom installed packages, should reinstall them after finishing the update process. A package diff file is saved to /root/diffpackages-xxxxxxxx-xxxx.txt that can be used to reinstall additional packages. Just use a command like the following to use the diff file, after rebooting to your new updated Parsix system:
$ apt-get update && apt-get install `cat /root/diffpackages-xxxxxxxx-xxxx.txt`
If you are planning to update your system using APT, update your /etc/apt/sources.list and use the following commands:
$ apt-get update && apt-get install distro-defaults $ apt-get install parsix-kernel (parsix64-kernel on amd64 / parsix-kernel-bigmem on i386 systems with more than 4GB RAM) $ reboot (Use the new kernel) $ apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade $ dpkg -P `deborphan` $ reboot
Help us with your donations
Creating a usable and stable operating system such as Parsix takes many hours of work and involves project server and bandwidth costs. So if you enjoy Parsix why not contribute back to the project? Thank you.
If you like Parsix, you can help us to make it better. You don't need to be a programmer to help us, even reporting bugs and testing new releases is a great help. http://www.parsix.org/mailman/listinfo/parsix-users Join to the Parsix GNU/Linux users mailing list today.
- http://bugs.parsix.org Parsix Bug Tracker
- http://www.parsix.org/html/module-htmlpages-display-pid-19.html Parsix 3.5 Screenshots
- http://www.parsix.org/html/donate.php Donations Page
- http://www.parsix.org/html/Sections-index-req-viewarticle-artid-1-page-1.html Installation Guide
- http://www.parsix.org/html/PNphpBB2-viewforum-f-1.html Support Forums
- http://www.parsix.org/mailman/lisinfo Mailing Lists
- http://www.parsix.org/html/pnWikka-tag-NvidiaHowto.html Nvidia Drivers HowTo
- http://www.parsix.org/html/pnWikka-tag-AtiHowto.html ATI Drivers Howto