Welcome to Parsix GNU/Linux 3.0r0-Test-1 Release Notes
Parsix GNU/Linux is a distribution designed for desktop and laptop computers but can be used as a live CD too. Parsix GNU/Linux is based on Debian testing branch and has been derived from KANOTIX. Parsix GNU/Linux contains the most common applications for desktop/laptop users and always ships the most recent stable GNOME desktop.
What's New in 3.0r0-Test-1?
Parsix GNU/Linux 3.0r0-Test-1 (code name Kev) is synchronized with Parsix and Debian testing repositories as of July 12, 2009. This version uses a brand new kernel based on Linux 18.104.22.168 with many extra patches and drivers, NetworkManager? is now the default networking stack, finally new Parsix-Installer 0.90.0 that supports separate /home partition and ext4 file system is included, SquashFS+Lzma live CD compression version 3.4, Aufs and UnionFS unification file systems for live CD mode, several bugs have been fixed and hundreds of packages have been updated. Highlights: GNOME 2.26.2, GNU Iceweasel 3.0.11, GParted 0.4.5, Pidgin 2.5.6 and OpenOffice?.org 3.0.1, Compiz-Fusion 0.8.2, VirtualBox?-OSE 2.1.4 with 64bit guest support. We need community help to test new installer features before final release.
Updated Packages Main changes are:
- Linux 22.214.171.124
- GNOME 2.26.2
- X.Org 7.3
- GNU Iceweasel 3.0.11
- OpenOffice?.org 3.0.1
- Glibc 2.9
- SquashFS+Lzma 3.4
- GParted 0.4.5
- Pidgin 2.5.6
- GIMP 2.6.6
- CompizFusion? 0.8.2
- Synaptic 0.62.5
- VirtualBox?-OSE 2.1.4
- Exaile 0.2.14
- VLC 0.9.9
- xFarDic 0.11.6
Other Notable Changes in 3.0
- New artwork, based on a background design by bkashaf, Aurora GTK+2.0 theme engine]] credits goes to Eric Matthews, http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php/show.php?content=70537&vote=good&tan=63898020 Tropical sound theme credits goes to Tom Haste.
- Updated installer system (0.90.0.5).
- Adobe flash player 10.0.22.87 32 and 64 bit replaces GNU Gnash.
- ATI proprietary drivers are currently broken. We are waiting for X.Org 7.4 transition to testing branch to happen.
- GNOME Screensaver is not working correctly.
- Graphics to be finalized
- GNOME 2.26.3
- Some packages are missing, to be added
- Coulple of packages to be updated
- New installer needs test
- Documentation needs to be updated
Important Notice About Parsix Repositories
Parsix GNU/Linux has two main repositories. The official repository contains packages officially maintained and built by the project and the Continent repository that is the whole Debian testing branch except packages covered by official repository. For Parsix Boss, your default /etc/apt/sources.list file should look like this:
# Parsix deb http://packages.parsix.org/official boss main contrib non-free deb-src http://packages.parsix.org/official boss main contrib non-free deb http://packages.parsix.org/continent boss main contrib non-free deb-src http://packages.parsix.org/continent boss main contrib non-free # Debian Multimedia deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing main
Updating Existing Installations
Users with existing Parsix GNU/Linux installations can update their systems using APT or 3.0r0-Test-1 CD-ROM. Updating using the Parsix CD-ROM deletes all additional installed packages. So users who have custom installed packages, should reinstall them after finishing the update process. A package diff file is saved to /root/diffpackages-xxxxxxxx-xxxx.txt that can be used to reinstall additional packages. Just use a command like the following to use the diff file, after rebooting to your new updated Parsix system:
$ apt-get update && apt-get install `cat /root/diffpackages-xxxxxxxx-xxxx.txt`
If you are planning to update your system using APT, use the following commands:
$ echo "deb http://www.parsix.org/packages boss main contrib non-free" >> /etc/apt/sources.list $ apt-get update && apt-get install distro-defaults $ apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade $ apt-get install parsix-kernel (parsix64-kernel on amd64 / parsix-kernel-bigmem on i386 systems with more than 4GB RAM) $ dpkg -P `deborphan` $ reboot
Note: Due to vast amount of changes and new default features in this version, its highly recommended to do a CD-ROM update mode installation.
Help us for your donations
We pay for our project server and bandwidth costs; Spending lots of hours to come up with a stable and usable operating system you can enjoy and save money! So do not forget to give back. Thank you.
Note for nVidia/ATI Users
Now it's possible to install ATI and nVidia drivers and kernel modules from the Viola APT repository. For more information, please see http://www.parsix.org/html/pnWikka-tag-AtiHowto.html ATI Drivers Howto and http://www.parsix.org/html/pnWikka-tag-NvidiaHowto.html Nvidia Drivers HowTo.
If you like Parsix, you can help us to make it better. You don't need to be a programmer to help us, even reporting bugs and testing new releases is a great help. http://www.parsix.org/mailman/listinfo/parsix-users Join to the Parsix GNU/Linux users mailing list today.
- http://bugs.parsix.org Parsix Bug Tracker
- http://www.parsix.org/html/module-htmlpages-display-pid-17.html Boss Screenshots
- http://www.parsix.org/html/donate.php Donations Page
- http://www.parsix.org/html/Sections-index-req-viewarticle-artid-1-page-1.html Installation Guide
- http://www.parsix.org/html/PNphpBB2-viewforum-f-1.html Support Forums
- http://www.parsix.org/mailman/lisinfo Mailing Lists
- http://www.parsix.org/html/pnWikka-tag-NvidiaHowto.html Nvidia Drivers HowTo
- http://www.parsix.org/html/pnWikka-tag-AtiHowto.html ATI Drivers Howto